
The old brick building with distinctive Turkestan architecture, located opposite the Central Park (formerly Telman Park), is well known to Tashkent residents.
Many remember it as the
location of the Faculty of Industrial and Civil Construction of the Polytechnic
Institute.
The building was
constructed in 1909 by G. M. Svarichevsky’s design for the Technical Railway
School named after Heir Tsesarevich Alexei Nikolaevich.
After the revolution, it
housed a party workers’ school and several faculties of Turkestan
University—until the third floor was added to the current Westminster
University building.
During the war, an
evacuation center and hospital were set up in the building.
After the war, it hosted
a department for training construction personnel, and later—the construction
faculty of the Polytechnic Institute.
Currently, the building
houses the Banking and Finance Academy.

The Baland Mosque was built in 1857. "Baland" means "high," and the mosque received its name from t...

At the end of the 19th century, two orphanages operated in Tashkent — the Alexandrovsky and the Kau...

One of the country’s main concert and ceremonial halls, the “Friendship of Peoples” Palace was ope...

The 17-story “Uzbekistan” Hotel is one of the capital’s most recognizable symbols. Located in the v...